Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tolkien Uber Fan? - Aaron Nicholson

Air New Zealand Inflight Magazine (unpublished - draft)





In a small town on the Western Edge of the vast Fiordland National on the Southern Island of New Zealand Park lives one man who has worked consistently over the years for the Memory of JRR Tolkien.  But when asked if he thinks he is one of greatest fans of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings
he shrugs and says He is just doing what he thought needed doing because he was in the unique position to do so. "I don't consider my self to be any greater than other people who like JRR Tolkien's work except in the eyes of the Media, probably because I get in the news. As for super fans I would say no one could surpass Ian Brodie of Hobbiton when it comes to Tolkien Mania in New Zealand he wrote the Book. Literally!".

"As for me I am mainly following my passion for local history and names on maps with stories behind them. The whole Lost Kepler Mountains and Tolkien Mountain saga is just a bit of historical housekeeping albiet sparked by Peter Jackson using the area in his first Tolkien Movie."

"The Anduin Reach proposal was purely for the benefit to the local community as I was a member of a trust to build a cycle trail down the river at the time and needed to draw attention to its value as tourist attraction I thought it was a valid submission, but it just couldn't sit well with the NZGB rules."
"That made the News all over the world at the time"

But it is the naming of  Mount Tolkien / Tolkien Mountain that Is his latest endeavor, he ponders if he has created a monster with it and foresees some difficulties ahead. "I have never taken any thing this scale on before, If it succeeds it has the potential to be unmanageable and even if it fails it will certainly have consequences for not just my local community but New Zealand too. That is a lot to get ones head around!"


No comments:

Post a Comment