Thursday, September 10, 2015

NZ Flag Oppinion - Aaron Nicholson - Designer

Posted 14th August 2015 to the Southland Times Newspaper Invercargill NZ



A Life time ago I took a Visual Communications Course at the Southland Community College (now SIT)
One of my Tutors was a Mr David Russell Who encouraged us to use our eyes and brains together  and see things that other
Didn’t, so for a bit of fun in one class I applied this advice to the NZ Flag design with the Idea it had to do the following things, Instant Recognition, for starters
A nod to the Commonwealth as well as Maori and a touch of our communal passion for sports without using Black or Rugby Logos of any kind.

But I did not submit it this time around as I think the chosen Flag that gets picked in the end will be despised because of the way this referendum has been presented
And yes, other Artists feel the same.

Up until 1946 all Kiwis held British Passports, this is a commonwealth Country with a English Head of State. I think that EVERY new Flag on offer slights this historic Fact
Is not just wrong but actually creepy.




No comments:

Post a Comment